Rooney Records Assist on Derby County Debut



Former England international and ex Manchester United Player Wayne Rooney made his debut Appearance for Derby County after spending a lenghty spell in USA (Major soccer league away from England

Wayne who claimed an assist in his first Competitive match for Derby against Barnsley has stated his desire to play every single game this season for Derby couny.

 Rooney set up Jack Marriott with a brilliant free-kick for Derby's opener and then fired a brilliant cross-field ball to Andre Wisdom in the build-up to their second goal. 

The 34-year-old was expected to start on the bench but played the full 90 minutes and now has his sights set on playing in Derby's clash with Crystal Palace on Sunday.

'It was nice, I've been training for a long time now so it's nice to get back on the pitch,' he told Derby's official website. 'I felt good but the most important thing for us was the three points.

 'Anyone who knows me knows that I want to play in every game. I have to recover quickly now, it's a quick turnaround. I'll get a good recovery session in and try and be ready for Sunday.' 




Rooney who made his debut was given the captain armband and was later revealed by Derby's Coach Phili Cocu Rooney would be the permanent Captain of the Club.

He added: 'The manager stressed to me that he wanted me to be captain but myself and the manager spoke with Curtis, we felt he'd done a fantastic job but from now on I'll take over.

'Derbywere boosted by a bumper crowd of 27,782 for the game as fans flocked to see Rooney in action and the former Manchester United man admitted he was thrilled with the reaction.

'[It was] a great reception from the crowd. I've been to all the games in the last month and they've given me a great reception each time.' 



Comments